A Barista’s role is to sell, prepare and serve coffee beverages, specialty teas, and simple food items.
Screen your next resumes with automated video interviews
- Get information missing from resumes
- Compare video responses side by side
- Screen candidates with confidence
- Build a better candidate pool
Your Barista job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Barista candidates? Check out our top Barista interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Barista Job Description Template
We are currently searching for an outgoing and friendly Barista to prepare and serve a variety of beverages and simple meal items to our coffee shop customers. Your job duties will include ensuring customers feel welcome, taking customer orders, accepting payments, cleaning work spaces, and preparing and serving menu items.
The ability to actively engage with customers is highly desired. An excellent barista will suggest items that work with the customer’s unique preferences and up-sell special menu options as appropriate. The ideal job seeker is knowledgeable about food service, experienced with brewing and other equipment, and has a firm grasp on excellent customer service skills.
- Welcoming customers in a manner consistent with our coffee shop brand
- Handling customer orders, including cash and credit card payments
- Answering beverage menu item questions, including customer inquiries about coffee beans, coffee blends, and specialty coffees
- Organizing and cleaning food preparation spaces and other work areas
- Logging coffee shop stock supply needs
- Accurately preparing high quality latte, espresso, cappuccino, and other coffee drinks and cold beverages according to customer specifications
- Providing proper food service of bakery and other items such as bagels, muffins, and scones
- Learning new coffee brewing and preparation techniques
- Maintaining coffee bar displays in an attractive and clean manner
- Adhering to food safety regulations at all times
- Experience in customer service or food services
- Interest in developing or expanding coffee bar knowledge of coffee beans, coffee blends, and coffee and tea drinks
- Experience with or desire to learn how to use espresso machines and brewing equipment
- High-energy and engaging demeanor
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Open and flexible part-time schedule options
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn cash register duties
- A strong desire to work in a coffee shop environment
- High school diploma or GED
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $21,750 per year/$10.45 per hour
Hourly wages for Baristas in the top industries in which they worked:
Special Food Services $11.06
Restaurants and Other Eating Places $10.13
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics