Cashiers assist customers with purchase transactions and other customer service needs.
Your Cashier job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Cashier candidates? Check out our top Cashier interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Cashier Job Description Template
We are looking for a Cashier to join our team and provide excellent customer service. As a Cashier, you will play an important role in our customers’ overall shopping experience. Your strong performance can enhance our store’s reputation, increase customer loyalty, and drive up sales.
The successful candidate will be personable, energetic, and customer satisfaction-oriented. You can expect to handle purchase and exchange transactions, issue refunds, honor coupons, bag merchandise, and maintain a tidy work space. Your technical duties will include operating a register, using a scanner, counting money in cash drawers, and keeping reports of transactions. A qualified Cashier will have good math skills, basic computer skills, and a keen attention to detail.
- Greet customers as they enter the store
- Help customers locate items and answer questions
- Operate scanners and registers to complete purchase and exchange transactions
- Accept accurate payments and generate receipts
- Handle returns and exchanges, and redeem coupons
- Balance the cash register and report discrepancies
- Upsell and cross-sell products and services
- Resolve customer complaints
- Bag customer purchases
- Maintain a tidy workspace
- Follow store policies on cigarette, alcohol other speciality purchases
- Customer service experience
- Familiarity with cash registers and Point of Sale (POS) systems
- Basic math and computer skills
- Able to stand for shift hours and lift heavy items
- Keen attention to detail
- Courteous when resolving complaints
- Dependability for meeting scheduled shifts
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Median Hourly Pay: $10.78 per hour
The median hourly wages for Cashiers in the top industries in which they worked:
Pharmacies and Drug Stores $11.26
Food and Beverage Stores $10.93
General Merchandise Stores $10.75
Gasoline Stations $10.29
Restaurants and Other Eating Places $10.25
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics