A Controller oversees the accounting department of a company and plays an important role in business functions such as payroll, taxes, financial reports, accounts payable and receivable, and more. While the Chief Financial Officer of a company may assume this role, a Controller can assist in these duties when a business is large and requires more financial management.
Your Controller job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Controller Job Description Template
Our company is in search of an experienced and efficient Controller who can oversee all financial and accounting activities. Your main duties will include budget management, handling payroll, recording accounts payable and receivable, and creating and analyzing financial reports. Controllers also work closely with the Human Resources department to ensure policy compliance.
The most successful candidate will prefer a busy work environment and be familiar with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Ultimately, your job is to help our company maximize profits and decrease financial risks while complying with all applicable accounting laws and regulations.
- Closely monitor the financial activities of the company
- Create budgets and forecasts
- Manage payroll
- Ensure accounts payable/receivable and bank deposits are completed on time
- Comply with all applicable accounting laws and regulations
- Establish policies and procedures for budget, cash/credit management, investment, and other financial activities
- Present financial reports and risk analysis
- Manage filing systems
- Perform internal audits and assist external audits
- Manage and enforce operating budgets
- Firm understanding of financial laws and regulations
- Comprehension of applicable economic, financial, and bank principles
- Understanding of data analysis and presentation
- Experience with payroll, accounts payable/receivable
- Capacity to accurately and timely complete tasks
- Proven experience in financial project management field
- Proficiency with relevant accounting software
- Ability to collaborate with senior management and the Board of Directors
- Accounting designation (CMA, CGA, or CA) or equivalent combination of related experience and education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- 10+ years experience in an accounting or financial management role
- 5+ years experience with human resources compliance
Median Annual Pay: $108,651 per year
Annual wages for Controllers in related job titles:
Corporate Controller $108,000
Plant Controller $109,000
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics