Customer Service Representatives, often Call Service Representatives, aid customers by answering questions, taking product orders, and settling complaints in a timely and professional manner.
Your Customer Service Representative job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Customer Service Representative Job Description Template
We are hiring a Customer Service Representative to manage customer inquiries and resolve issues. Your relationship with customers is an important part of maintaining our high company standards. This job requires an ability to process and modify orders, as well as settle complaints to the satisfaction of both the customer and the company.
You will be required to interact with customers over the phone, in person, and online while remaining professional and courteous at all times. Experience working in customer service and excellent interpersonal skills make you a strong candidate.
Customer Service Representative Responsibilities:
- Always maintain a professional and friendly attitude
- Accurately process product orders and returns
- Quickly respond to customer requests and inquiries
- Connect with customers across social media, email, phone calls, and in person
- Resolve customer complaints
- Keep records of customer interactions and comments
- Stay updated on product/service knowledge and company policies
- Ensure customer satisfaction at all times
Customer Service Representative Requirements:
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to stay calm and courteous even with difficult customers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Customer service experience preferred
- High school diploma preferred
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $33,750 per year/$16.23 per hour
The median hourly wages for Customer Service Representatives in the top industries in which they worked:
Wholesale Trade $18.47
Insurance carriers and related activities $17.88
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services $17.74
Business Support Services $13.78
Retail Trade $12.93
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics