Executive Directors are the leaders of nonprofit organizations. They oversee all strategic planning and general administration in coordination with the Board of Directors.
Your Executive Director job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Executive Director Job Description Template
We are currently searching for a highly capable Executive Director to drive fulfillment of the vision and mission of our nonprofit organization. You will be responsible for leading staff and implementing strategies that help our organization achieve the goals defined by the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
Key skills for the role are the ability to fund raise and search for alternative financial resource opportunities. Your duties will also include hosting community events, marketing through various channels, and ensuring the financial health of the company by preparing annual budgets and monthly financial statements.
The ideal candidate will be extremely competent and show excellent leadership skills when conducting general administration operations like hiring staff, signing agreements, and overseeing operations. Overall, you will be the face of our organization when working closely with the community, donors, and other professional organizations.
Executive Director Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement business strategies
- Create a strong company culture
- Network in and grow relationships with our community of donors and clientele
- Prepare financial budgets
- Oversee daily business operations
- Serve as a spokesperson to media and public
- Work closely with the Board of Directors on strategic direction and policy decisions
- Design and conduct fundraisers
- Review and approve service contracts
Executive Director Requirements:
- Possess excellent leadership and management skills
- Highest levels of integrity and ethics
- Proven ability to analyze and prepare budgets
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to engage and inspire staff, volunteers, and donor groups
- Experience working with media and public relations personnel
- Background in developing marketing plans
- 5+ years of nonprofit management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Median Annual Pay: $66,288
Annual Base Pay Range: $49,924 – $139,938
Additional compensation options reported for Executive Directors include:
Cash bonus No data reported
Commission sharing $27,988 average per year
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor