General Managers supervise the day-to-day business activities in a company. Their responsibilities extend to budgeting, staff training, policy implementation, strategic planning, and ensuring business goals are met.
Your General Manager job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
General Manager Job Description Template
We are searching for a self-driven General Manager to oversee all general company operations including budgets and staff. You will be responsible for designing and implementing effective business strategies that help our company thrive.
The successful candidate will be comfortable creating policies, allocating resources, motivating staff, assisting business operations, maintaining relationships with vendors, and monitoring financial transactions. We hope to gain better staff productivity while increasing revenue and efficiency. Ultimately, the best fit will have superior communication skills, possess in-depth experience with business functions, and be a natural leader.
General Manager Responsibilities:
- Oversee day-to-day business operations
- Design and implement strategies for growth and productivity
- Establish and maintain budgets
- Ensure staff efficiency and professionalism
- Recruit and train new employees
- Review financial performance
- Prepare and present reports to management
General Manager Requirements:
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of business planning and budgeting
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Experience as a General Manager or similar position
- Bachelor’s in Business Management or a related field
- MBA preferred
Median Annual Pay: $68,556 per year
The median annual wages for General Managers in the top roles in which they worked:
Restaurant General Manager $69,000
Assistant General Manager $56,000
Assistant Manager $55,000
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor