A Graphic Designer utilizes images and text to communicate a message in a creative way.
Your Graphic Designer job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Graphic Designer candidates? Check out our top Graphic Designer interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Graphic Designer Job Description Template
We are looking for a talented Graphic Designer to help communicate our message across a range of marketing materials. You will work as a team with our creative director and copywriter to design web pages, print advertisements, logos, signs, brochures, exhibits, and other marketing materials. Your designs should both engage and inform our target audience.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate proficiency in all stages of the design development process. This includes client meetings, reviewing design briefs, establishing budgets, preparing rough drafts, getting feedback, and finalizing artwork. You will need strong communication skills to go along with expertise with design software like InDesign and Illustrator. The ability to translate requirements into original and creative designs is paramount. You may submit a hard copy of your portfolio or link us to a digital version.
Graphic Designer Responsibilities:
- Study project briefs to understand creative and messaging goals
- Analyze design requirements across various media such as digital, print and broadcast
- Establish budgets for design execution
- Create rough layouts by hand or using computer programs such as InDesign or Illustrator
- Submit rough layouts for approval and incorporate feedback
- Prepare final layout with finished copy and art
- Select font styles and sizes to maximize readability
- Source or create images, illustrations or pictures to communicate visual messages
- Test designs on various platforms like desktop computers, laptops and mobile devices
- Submit final productions
Graphic Designer Requirements:
- A keen eye for all design elements
- Strong ability to conceptualize creative and messaging requirements
- Experience with computer programs like InDesign, Illustrator, DreamWeaver, and Photoshop
- Capable of working under tight deadlines
- Meticulous with visual details
- Excellent team player
- Knowledge of typography and color theory
- Proven graphic design experience (portfolio submission required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or related field
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $50,370/$ 24.21 per hour
Annual salaries for Graphic Designers in the top industries in which they worked:
Advertising, Public Relations, and Related Services $51,380
Specialized Design Services $51,320
Newspaper, Periodical, Book, and Directory Publishers $43,450
Printing and Related Support Activities $40,170
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics