A Host or Hostess is the first point of contact at an establishment and is primarily responsible for greeting customers, taking reservations, and showing them to their table.
Your Host/Hostess job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Host/Hostess Job Description Template
We are searching for a Host or Hostess to join our team and ensure customers feel welcome the moment they enter our restaurant. You will be responsible for showing customers to their table, or taking their name and directing them to a proper waiting area. Your shift may also include assisting servers with clearing off tables during busy hours and taking to-go orders by phone.
To do well in this position, you must have exemplary interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple service requests a one time. The ideal candidate will enjoy the restaurant environment and recognize the responsibility of being the first impression guests have of our establishment.
- Welcome guests in a timely manner
- Provide accurate wait times and organize a waiting list
- Escort customers to the bar or proper waiting area
- Provide menus and introduce to server
- Coordinate proper table seating with wait staff
- Assist with cleaning or small errands during peak times
- Respond courteously to questions or complaints
- Demonstrate knowledge of menu options and special deals
- Answer calls and take/prepare to-go orders
- Customer service oriented
- Ability to stand for long periods and multi-task
- Experience operating a point-of-sale system
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- High school diploma
- Restaurant experience preferred
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $23,260 per year/$11.18 per hour
Annual salaries for Hosts/Hostesses in the top industries in which they worked:
Restaurants and Other Eating Places $22,960
Traveler Accommodation $26,790
Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages) $24,280
Other Amusement and Recreation Industries $23,260
Special Food Services $25,020
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics