Office Assistants, or Office Clerks, help an organization run more smoothly by providing support with typical office duties like scheduling, organization, reception, filing, and other daily company needs.
Your Office Assistant job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Office Assistant Job Description Template
We are currently searching for a responsible and efficient Office Assistant to help manage administrative tasks for our company. Your duties will include general office tasks like scheduling meetings, answering phone calls, updating documents, and managing files. Our Office Assistant must ensure that the office functions smoothly by completing the day-to-day clerical tasks, and greeting visitors and clients with a friendly, upbeat attitude.
In order for you to be selected, you will need to exhibit excellent oral and written skills, as well as proficiency with word processing software. The ability to multitask with accuracy and under limited to no supervision will help you stand out as a candidate.
Office Assistant Responsibilities:
- Greet clients upon arrival and direct them to the appropriate offices
- Mange the office filing system
- Handle incoming calls and emails
- Update paperwork and maintain proper documentation
- Perform light accounting work
- Schedule and plan meetings, appointments, and reservations as needed
- Handle deliveries and run errands
- Maintain office equipment and keep office area clean
- Monitor office supply inventory
Office Assistant Requirements:
- Experience as an office assistant or a similar position
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to complete clerical duties timely and accurately
- Typing speed: 60 WPM with 90 percent accuracy
- Knowledge of office equipment and management procedures
- Friendly demeanor and professional appearance
- High school diploma or associate’s degree
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Median Annual and Hourly Pay: $32,730 per year/$15.74 per hour
The median hourly wages for Office Assistants in the top industries in which they worked:
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services $16.22
Healthcare and Social Assistance $15.55
Educational Services; State, Local, and Private $14.63
Administrative and Support Services $14.54
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics