Office Managers fulfill the leadership and administrative duties of an office. They are responsible for smooth day-to-day operations by maintaining systems and supervising staff.
Your Office Manager job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Office Manager candidates? Check out our top Office Manager interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Office Manager Job Description Template
We are currently seeking an Office Manager to oversee the general operations of our office. Your role will ensure office efficiency, productivity, and safety. Duties include managing the front desk, ensuring outstanding customer service, designing filing systems, purchasing office supplies, overseeing IT issues, establishing budgets and monitoring expenses, and handling procurement and repair of office machines.
The Office Manager will have a background in all human resources functions, including recruiting, hiring, onboarding and training. You will also be called upon to create presentations and management-level reports, and support the executive team by scheduling travel and accommodations. The initiative to evaluate and improve the efficiency of our current procedures and systems is highly valued.
Office Manager Responsibilities:
- Lead the office team and maximize productivity
- Recruit, hire and train new employees
- Greet visitors and deliver excellent customer service
- General office procedures such as filing, billing, payroll, and scheduling
- Coordinate staff travel and accommodation needs
- Manage retention and disposal of records
- Monitor all clerical functions
- Prepare budgets and schedule expenditures
- Design and implement office policies and procedures
- Handle all equipment procurement and repairs
- Source and negotiate terms with outside service providers
- Produce management reports
Office Manager Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience in office administration
- Effective leadership, communication, and customer service skills
- Experience recruiting, hiring and training employees
- Command of employment laws and regulations
- Advanced computer skills and a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with administrative software like QuickBooks and SharePoint
- Knowledge of office machine functionality, procurement, and repair
- Ability to multitask in a busy environment
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Median Annual Pay: $48, 562 per year
The median annual wages for Office Managers in the top roles in which they worked:
Business Office Manager $49,000
Office Manager/Executive Assistant $49,000
Medical Office Manager $48,562
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor