Project Managers are responsible for the completion of projects on time and within budget and scope.
Your Project Manager job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
Getting ready to interview Project Manager candidates? Check out our top Project Manager interview questions.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Project Manager Job Description Template
We are currently searching for a Project Manager who will assume responsibility for the successful completion of key projects. This role is vital to the ongoing efficiency of our operations and requires a candidate with proven work experience in project management. The successful candidate will possess the skills needed to coordinate people and processes, and to serve as the primary point of contact for all matters of inquiry.
When reviewing qualifications, we will evaluate your ability to assess project scope and objectives, develop a project plan, monitor and track progress, manage availability and allocation of financial and human resources, and prepare reports for management. Strong leadership skills are highly valued, as are exceptional organizational and time management skills.
Project Manager Responsibilities:
- Ensure project completion on time and within budget and scope
- Manage internal staff and third parties/vendors
- Develop and present detailed project plans
- Handle change requests involving scope, schedule or budgets
- Monitor and document project progress and outcomes
- Perform risk management duties
- Maintain relationships with all stakeholders
- Create spreadsheets and process maps to support financial or manpower requests
- Conduct post project evaluations
Project Manager Requirements:
- Proven experience in project management
- Extensive technical background, including software development and web technologies
- Solid grasp of business concepts
- Effective leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Superior multitasking, organizational, and problem-solving abilities
- Background in developing budgets, staffing, and inventory control
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Project Manager Professional (PMP) and PRINCE2 certifications preferred
Median Annual Pay: $75,474 per year
Annual wages for Project Managers in the top roles in which they worked:
IT Project Manager $97,312
Associate Project Manager $65,600
Project Coordinator $51,468
* Source for wage information: Glassdoor