Teachers are responsible for educating students by preparing lesson plans, delivering instruction, and cultivating an interest in learning.
Your Teacher job description will typically be your first point of contact with your candidate audience. How you communicate the information in your job description will shape how potential candidates perceive the job duties, the value of the role to the company, the company culture, the organization of the hiring process, and the like.
In a competitive marketplace, you want your job description to stand out so the most qualified candidates will be intrigued and motivated to apply. It’s about making an awesome first impression, and simply throwing together a generic job description won’t cut it. By putting extra time and attention into how you research, draft, and post your job description, you can make a big difference in the quality of applications and resumes you receive back.
The job description template below will help you get started. Modify the template as needed to fit your particular business and job.
Teacher Job Description Template
We are looking for a Teacher to join our team of committed educators. A qualified candidate has not only a firm command of subject matter knowledge and teaching best practices, but also the drive to inspire students to want to learn and grow. This role has the potential to shape lives through learning and a Teacher candidate must be prepared to assume this responsibility with the highest levels of integrity and values.
Duties will include creating and presenting lesson plans, tracking student progress, maintaining an orderly classroom, and meeting with parents and other interested parties (such as special education advisors) on a regular basis. The ability to utilize audio/visual equipment to facilitate in-class instruction, and incorporate off-site educational events, is highly desired.
- Create and present lesson plans
- Utilize interactive learning techniques to enhance retention
- Grade assignments and give constructive feedback
- Provide individual and group instruction
- Secure needed classroom resources such as books and audio/visual equipment
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences
- Collaborate with departments providing supplementary resources such as special education instruction
- Maintain a clean and orderly classroom
- Plan and implement off-site educational activities and events
- Command of teaching best practices
- Knowledge of laws governing education
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Creative lesson planner and energetic presenter
- High levels of integrity and compassion
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Teaching or relevant field
- Current teaching certification
Median Annual Pay: Dependent on the grade level
The median annual wages for Teachers in various grade levels:
Elementary and Secondary Schools; Local $61,040
High School Teachers $60,320
Preschool, Primary, Secondary, and Special Education School Teachers $56,790
Elementary and Secondary Schools; Private $54,150
* Source for wage information: Bureau of Labor Statistics